Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A stroll through the squash patch

Cory was asking about the white pumpkins, and I hadn't been through the squash jungle in some time, so on Monday I took a stroll through.  More like wading through waist-high vines, scratching my knees, and at one point feeling so claustrophobic that I bolted to the nearest pathway, tripping over pumpkins and ornamental gourds!
These three rows were planted 15' apart.  They have grown into each other and nearly covered two rows of beets and a row of Dragon Tongue beans.  Next year we hope to plant the squash in another field to make better use of this one.

The Ambercup (Sunshine Kabocha) is ready!

This is an immature Ambercup.

Assorted gourds.  I'm always shocked by how well these sell.  People will balk at the price of some veggie they can EAT, and then buy 10 ornamental gourds that will sit on their table and eventually rot.  Priorities!!

If the flowers are any indication, still lots of squash coming!

Some white pumpkins for the shop at Lady of the Lake - Cory is waiting for you!!

Warty mo-fo.

Orange pumpkins!!

So exciting!

The pumpkin patch



Mom grows the white spaghetti squash because she says it tastes better-- I guess we'll find out!

Edamame are going to hit the market and the availability list this weekend!

Citrons are doing well

Need to pick the zukes more often, obviously!

Dragon Tongue beans are monstrously prolific!

Kohlrabi!!  I will let Jon pick these, I had a fight with one yesterday, broke my knife, and then nearly broke my back pulling the damn thing out.

Squash jungle!

No comments:

Post a Comment