Saturday, April 23, 2016

10 Reasons Series: #7 Follow your Roots

Jon's roots are on the East Coast.  My roots are in Manitoba. 
Wherever your roots are, you know what home feels like.  It's not easy to describe or explain, but it's the place where you just fit.  Things make sense and people get you and you know what's expected.

I loved Nova Scotia, but I didn't fit there.  My pace is different, my accent noticeable, my intuition off.  Moving to Manitoba was coming home for me, to the place where I belong and I fit and things make sense. 

Below my Gran's photo on the wall is a framed card from Christmas 2013: "Wherever you end up in your exciting life, you will always be welcomed here where you began".  I'm so proud to be back, carrying on the family farm tradition that her and Grandpa Tom instilled in me in my childhood.

The reason for following my roots and not Jon's?  I guess I won the arm wrestle!
But honestly - it's all about family.  His and mine.  Of course I have lots of relatives in Manitoba, but we are also closer to Jon's sisters (Seattle & Calgary) and our nieces and nephews.  As we considered starting a family, we realized what a better lifestyle we could have here, where we have family support and can achieve our business goals so much faster than starting out from nothing.


We were fortunate to have my Auntie Joan from the Netherlands stay with us for just over 2 weeks recently.  It was the first time a family member has stayed with me for an extended time, so it was really special.  We had a great time and she fit well into our household routine.  We also hosted a family get together, which was one of the better ones!  My Auntie Jayne who lives about 45 minutes away has also been a huge help, giving us furniture and plants and all kinds of random other things we need (the latest being a cultivator and two hens from her neighbour!), and helping tons with the business.  My Auntie Nancy has been battling cancer for a few years now and so I'm glad to get to spend time with her more often than when we lived away.  I've also connected with a childhood friend who lives closeby with his wife and kids. 

It's so special to me to have these relationships back in my life.  It has made me realize how much I missed them while we were in Nova Scotia.  There's no replacement for family, no matter how well you know someone.  Family sees you through thick and thin, good and bad, and they are there for you no matter what.  Jon's roots will always be in the East Coast, but when we weighed the options we decided this was a better one for us and I'm so glad to have been able to return to my roots, and share these connections with my wonderful, understanding, and selfless husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment